Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Weekend



Paul and I spent Saturday morning at  Prairiewoods Franciscan Spirituality Center in Hiawatha, IA.  It is a great place to visit. The minute you step out of your car, you feel something different. It could be described as a calmness, a certain peace or as one friend called it, a “slower frequency”.
We walked the trails taking in the nature that surrounded us. Since it is fall, most of the trees have lost their leaves. The woods and prairie are in sepia tones rather than vibrant colors. It didn’t matter because we still found life there.
We came across a buck and a doe who seemed just as interested in us as we were in them. There were large, bare, old trees that seemed to have their own personality.  We came across a stream and paused, listening to the water, taking it all in. Along the trail we found gifts and tokens that others had left as an offering or prayer. As if God was there in nature and by leaving these tokens they were handing them to God.
The trail eventually lead to a Labyrinth.  A Labyrinth can be a metaphor for life. A journey that we walk to grow closer to God. As I looked at the footprints left in the sand of the Labyrinth, I wondered what the owners of the footprints contemplated as they walked. What did they find when they reached the center? Were they on a spiritual path? I wondered, what is my spiritual path? Am I on it? There are days I wonder if I am. What would I find when I reached the center?