Sunday, July 16, 2006

Let's go swimming!

Julie, Shana and I got together Friday night and watched a very funny movie (more about that another time). During dinner the topic of swimming at the public pool came up. "There is an Adult swim" Shana said. She was going Saturday morning. Julie, my personal trainer, thought that would be a good thing for us to do. We decided to try it out on Sunday.

Well I have never seen anything like it. When we arrived there was a line waiting to get in! The average age was about 70 and 95% were women. So much for worrying about what I looked like in my swim suit. Who cares!

The pool starts out very shallow and graduates to about 4 feet deep. Then there is a separate deep end. By the time we were ready to get in, the pool was full of (mostly) women who were walking back and forth in the pool. Apparently this is a Midwest thing. You get in the pool and walk from one side of the pool to another. Great idea! Some were in the shallow end - They must have been beginners. There were groups or pods (that's what you call a group of killer whales) of 2 - 6 women walking back and forth. Back and forth. It was the craziest thing! They were all talking away and it sounded like a swarm of bees. Crazy I'm telling you!

Julie and I decided the deeper water may be the best for us. Less people and we wanted to swim/float. Ok the floating was my idea. Well we ended up going back and forth, back and forth. We couldn't help ourselves. It was fun. We talked and talked while we swam and swam. We became a part of what I thought looked so funny. We even got creative and did underwater exercises.

Julie was doing something that looked like a backwards butterfly. I thought it looked like she was drowning. Next time we need to have Shana with us. Maybe we could play Marco Polo! It was another great Midwest experience.