Friday, January 4, 2008

Midwest Living Lesson # 49

Uff da

Uff da is a Midwest saying I have heard from time to time. It always surprises me to hear someone say it. The first time I heard someone say “Uff da” I thought they had gas.

Wikpedia defines “Uff da” as an exclamation of Scandinavian origin that is relatively common in the Upper Midwestern states of the United States as a term for sensory overload. It can be used as an expression of surprise, astonishment, exhaustion, relief and sometimes dismay.

Here are some examples a friend gave me. He happens to be Scandinavian and from the Midwest so I consider him to be a good authority. Let me point out that some of these examples take place on a farm.
Why Not!

Trying to dance the polka to rock and roll music

Losing your wad of gum in the chicken yard

Arriving late at a lutefisk supper and getting served minced ham instead

Looking in the mirror and discovering you're not getting better, just older

Trying to pour two buckets of manure into one bucket

Having a mouse crawl up your leg when you're on a hayload

Eating hot soup when you've got a runny nose

Getting out of bed in the morning with a backache

Getting swished in the face with a cow's wet tail

Waking yourself up in church with your own snoring

Forgetting your mother-in-law's first name