Sunday, September 12, 2010

Today I harvested herbs


Fresh Basil. That's Dori looking on.


This Spring I planted a little herb garden. It included the regular herbs like basil, oregano and thyme. I even planted stevia which is a natural sweetener. With fall just around the corner I figured it was time to harvest. That was the easy part. Figuring out what to do with them once I harvested them was another story. 

I did a little research and decided I would dehydrate them. Thankfully my next door neighbor "J" had a dehydrator that she lent me. The funny thing is while I was standing in her garage holding her dehydrator the neighbor who lives across the street came over and borrowed her juicer. She was making jelly. Got to love it!

I am happy to report it is going well. So far the oregano and basil are done. I am looking forward to the cold winter day that I decide to make soup and include these herbs, a little bit of summer in my soup. Oh yeah, my house smells great!