Saturday, September 11, 2010

Vacation Part One - Iowa State Fair

It has been said that the Iowa State Fair is one of the best fairs in the United States. Minnesotans would argue that fact. The Iowa State Fair is listed in the "Top 30 things Midwesterners Should Do".

So we set out to see for ourselves if this was true. We arrived on a Tuesday morning toting cameras, ponchos (it was raining) and big expectations. We were not disappointed.

There was a lot to see including a butter cow. Yes, a cow carved out of butter. This is a Fair tradition. I could think of worse things. A cow carved out of cheese perhaps?

When I heard I had the opportunity to milk a cow I jumped at the chance. I must admit I was a little nervous. Kind of felt like I was getting real personal with the cow.

A sweet young man showed me first and assured me it was no big deal for the cow. I felt myself blush a little. I have to say that milking a cow was the neatest thing I have ever done. I also have to admit at first I expected the milk to come out cold. Yes, I know better. She is a mammal after all. This may sound crazy but I have a new appreciation for milk. To know milk comes from a cow is one thing. To experience milk come from a cow is a whole different thing.