Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day Two of House Hunting

Today I head North and work my way back to the city.

It's been a long time since I have driven in traffic like this. A REAL long time. I fastened my seat belt, took a deep breath and merged into insanity. I felt I should have turned on my emergency flashers just to warn people that I wasn't from around here and may drive slow.

My first stop was Grayslake, IL 40 miles North of Chicago. What a charming city......uh village. The center of town reminded me of a small town you would find in Iowa. After looking at several homes I headed to my next destination, Mundelein.

I'm driving along when my "check engine" light comes on.  "Seriously?" (That's not what I really said) I had no idea what to do so I pulled over and checked my oil. Isn't that what you do when your "Check Engine" light comes on?  Apparently not. I felt helpless and checking the oil seemed to be the right thing to do. It helped. Not the car but me.

I drove to Lake Zurich and pulled into Lube Right Oil Change. In less then 5 minutes, these knights in shining armor came to my rescue. Turns out a little water in my gas tank made my car hiccup, causing the light to go on. After an oil change (Ok, I have this thing about the oil in my car) I was back on the road.

I made my way through one suburb after another, stopping along the way to look at houses. I'll be honest, I wasn't too impressed and was getting a bit discouraged. I am amazed at what homes cost here.

Paul, Shana, Lorice & Mac


The best part of my day was meeting friends Shana & Mac for dinner. They live in Chicago and LOVE it! They gave us a tour of the Northside and showed us the best places to eat, buy produce, buy tofu and even a place where you can buy a live chicken and have it killed and plucked for you. Their love for the city is infectious. We ate at this wonderful restaurant called Nookie's. Yes, that's right, Nookie's. Thanks to Shana and Mac, I feel much better about the move. Everything is going to be alright.


Shana & Mac's cat. We got our kitty fix!! Their kitty Rooster was hiding.

 Ammy
Rohn